The Y’s mission is our reason for being, and the Y’s cause is our mission in action–a promise to do everything in our Movement’s considerable power to enrich the common good and make life better for individuals, families, and communities. Delivering our cause draws inspiration and direction from both.
More than 170 years of innovating programs and delivering transformative responses to urgent social challenges have produced and reinforced a set of basic beliefs about how and why our Movement affects meaningful, enduring change. Delivering our cause is grounded in these beliefs.
The Y’s Mission
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
The Y’s Cause
At the Y, strengthening the community is our cause. We believe that positive, lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together and invest in our kids, our health, and our neighbors. That’s why we focus our work on three areas:
- Youth Development – nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
- Healthy Living – improving the nation’s health and well-being.
- Social Responsibility – giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
The Y’s Beliefs
We believe that when we devote our full strength to the Y’s mission and cause, work in partnership with others, and build on our history of innovation, we can address the most pressing issues of our time unlike any other organization.
- We believe people have potential.
- We believe active and connected families make for active and connected communities.
- We believe in a holistic approach to development, promoting healthy spirit, mind, and body.
- We believe in a diverse world, we are stronger when we are inclusive and our doors are open to all.
- We believe in honoring our mission, living our cause, acting in accordance with our values, and placing the greater good above self.